Friday 26 March 2021

Christianity and Narcissism I




A long while ago I said I'd be doing a series of posts on Christianity and Narcissism.

I had to take a necessary sabbatical for both technical and health reasons and now hope to carry on where I left off.

The fifth anniversary of my own immersion in the waters of baptism seem as good a time as any to "reflect" on Christianity and Narcissism.




Waterhouse painting of Echo and Narcissus



Some people have approached asking for insight on narcissism because they are dealing with something personally and I can only recommend things I have come across in my informal research because I am an unschooled contemplative lay person rather than a professional, with whatever knowledge and resources might be necessary to support people.

I'm speaking in these posts and videos from a non-clinical perspective, even when I reference narcissism in it's pathological context. My focus is more conceptual; reflections from and towards a personal, creative or spiritual framework and practice, rather than understanding or managing trauma from a humanistic, medicalised perspective.

If you are seeking help for abuse or to deal with someone who has the traits of narcissism, you are welcome to contact me still but I can only recommend resources for research.

Before reflecting on a subject we obviously need to read about it. So I will start by reading the myth "Echo and Narcissus" because it is an ancient myth there are obviously many, many versions available to choose from.

Usually I would go to the library for variety, as well as online, but during lockdown I thought I'd stick with what I have, which isn't much in the way of Greek mythology. It's not a particular interest of mine. I mainly find out about Greek myths when I need to look them up to understand references in poetry!

I have two short versions of the Greek myth "Echo and Narcissus" from the following books:

"Greek Myths & Legends" Diana Ferguson






"Classic Myth & Legend" A.R. Hope Moncrieff





I will upload videos of myself reading these short versions of the myth soon and will begin my reflections from there, before looking at narcissism in some Psychological literature or poetry etc.


Anyone coming across my Blog for the first time may be interested in my first post last year, where I discuss my decision to join the Church that Jesus Christ started over 2000 years ago.

You are welcome-


Also available as a BlogPod-




If you read this post please be assured of my prayers for you.

God bless you!




No comments:

Post a Comment